In Greater China, SUEZ helps authorities and industries clients in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan develop innovative solutions for climate change and sustainable resource management.
In the rest of Asia, SUEZ has started its journey since 1953 with presence in Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, etc. We are committed to helping authorities and industrial clients develop smart and reliable solutions to best manage water and waste.
Sustainable resource management is important everywhere. But in China, it is critical. SUEZ was one of the first foreign enterprises to invest in China. Our presence in China for more than 45 years makes SUEZ a preferred partner in helping authorities and industrial clients develop innovative solutions for climate change and sustainable resource management.
Today SUEZ has more than 70 projects based on partnerships with local authorities and companies spanning Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, with over 32 million people benefiting from our water and waste services. We are recognized as one of the most influential and benchmarking environmental companies in the industry.
Moreover, China’s environmental resource concerns are unique, and we cannot rely on imported technologies from abroad to address them all. Since 2003, SUEZ has developed four R&D centres in Shanghai and Chongqing designed to develop solutions that are tailor-made for local needs.
Our milestones in Greater China
1985: SUEZ established Macao Water to operate its first water concession contract in Asia
1987: SUEZ launched its solid waste business in Hong Kong
1992: SUEZ launched its first water project on the Chinese Mainland
2000: SUEZ started operating its first waste-to-energy project in Taiwan
2003: SUEZ signed its first industrial waste-to-energy project in China
2008: SUEZ and NWS jointly acquired 100% equity in Suyu, through which SUEZ indirectly held 15% shares in Chongqing Water Group
2015: SUEZ and NWS jointly set up Derun Environment, a joint venture with Suyu and Chongqing Water Assets Management
2017: SUEZ and NWS expanded their long-term partnership by establishing a single platform, SNL, to manage all their business activities in China across water operations, recycling and recovery, treatment infrastructure and smart environmental solutions in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
2019: Acquisition of Environmental Testing Laboratory Business of ALS in China, marking its first foray into China’s environmental quality monitoring market
SUEZ has started its journey in Asia since 1953 to help the authorities achieve sustainable development goals. We have built more than 300 water and wastewater treatment plants and are committed to designing innovative solutions that create value for our customers, the cities and industry.
In the recent years, we contribute to the region’s circular economy by developing smart solutions in Singapore and building waste to energy plant and plastic waste recycling plant in Thailand.
Our milestones in the rest of Asia
- In Indonesia, we have built more than 190 water and wastewater treatment plants since 1953.
- In Vietnam, SUEZ has been working closely with local authorities to provide sustainable solutions for drinking water and wastewater since 1955.
- In Thailand, our first water contract was signed in 1957. In 2019, our footprint extended to waste-to-energy and plastic waste recycling.
- In Malaysia, SUEZ won its first design & build contract in Johor-State in 1963. Since then, the Group has won 25 more of its kind, in addition to securing DBO, BOT & O&M contracts.
- In the Philippines, SUEZ has had a presence since 1978. In 2020, we won a new contract to design, build a wastewater treatment development in Manila.
- In Singapore, SUEZ first worked closely with the Public Utilities Board (PUB) in 1963, and since 2015 on smart environmental projects such as smart solutions for stormwater management, smart metering, and innovative water mains cleaning.
- In Japan, SUEZ first introduced its water-related technology in the mid-fifties as SUEZ Degrémont® and historically has been involved in building hundreds of water and wastewater treatment plants.