New entity SUEZ NWS Limited primed to user in “new circular economy of resources” in Greater China

SUEZ and NWS Holdings expand partnership to help guide China’s environmental transition in water and waste management businesses SUEZ, a world leader in sustainable resource management, and NWS Holdings Limited (NWS Holdings), a prominent investor and operator of infrastructure and service businesses in Hong Kong and Mainland China, have announced the official launch of SUEZ NWS Limited (SUEZ NWS) – an extension of the two companies’ longstanding partnership in Greater China. The single entity SUEZ NWS will enable the partnership to further reinforce its presence in the region and deliver innovative services and leading-edge technologies tailored to meet the region’s most pressing resource management challenges.

Under the terms of the agreement, SUEZ has assumed operational management with a 58% stake while NWS Holdings owns the rest of the 42% stake in SUEZ NWS. The new entity expands the partnership between the two companies to include their businesses relating to water management, waste recycling and recovery, water infrastructure construction and consultancy in Greater China. A single, unified management model will be adopted across China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau under the new single brand SUEZ NWS.

The Greater China region is facing pressure due to urbanisation and increasing scarcity of natural resources. At the same time, environmental awareness is growing alongside increasing demand for quality of life. In response, the Chinese government is implementing sustainable development strategies that aim to strike a balance between economic development and environmental preservation through smarter use of natural resources.

“SUEZ is moving confidently into a new age of leadership in Greater China, where we have been present for over four decades to help the country’s environmental transition,” said Steve Clark, CEO of SUEZ Asia. “We are addressing the challenges of environment protection and a circular economy by combining our long track record of innovation and operational excellence, and delivering solutions that improve resource management and help creating a better tomorrow for the Greater China region. This integration with NWS Holdings will reinforce our presence throughout Greater China, develop water and waste management activities with high growth potential across the region, and generate additional commercial and operational synergy.”

Rufin Mak, Executive Director of NWS Holdings, said, “NWS Holdings is aligned with SUEZ in our dedication to sustainable growth and resource management to meet the environmental challenges facing communities across the Greater China region. The new platform of SUEZ NWS will deepen our reach in a region where potential thrives, and enable us to unlock new opportunities and make positive contributions.”

Based on the Chinese government’s prioritisation of the environmental industry as part of its 13th Five Year Plan for 2016-2020, SUEZ NWS anticipates many new opportunities in the years ahead. Projects coming in the pipeline include hazardous waste-to-energy plant in Qidong, Changzhou and Taixing in Jiangsu that will be commissioned next year, Hong Kong’s first organic waste treatment facility and a new water treatment plant in Macau.

Share this article