SUEZ lauches AQUADVANCED® URBAN DRAINAGE, an innovative solution to optimise the performance of sewer and stormwater networks and preserve the natural environment
Faced with urban population growth, global warming and changing regulations, optimising the performance of sewer and stormwater networks is a priority for local authorities. Responding to this challenge, SUEZ is launching AQUADVANCED® Urban Drainage1 , a digital solution that allows local authorities to monitor in real time their sewer and stormwater networks to mitigate the risk of flooding and to control the quality of discharges into the natural environment.
OPTIMISING THE PERFORMANCE OF SEWER AND STORMWATER NETWORKS: A CHALLENGE FOR LOCAL AUTHORITIES
Rising urbanisation and the increase of impermeable surfaces in urban areas have reduced the natural infiltration of stormwater into the soil to 15%. The remaining 85% flows on the surface, collecting the residues deposited on roofs and roads (fuel, heavy metals, plastics, etc.). Local authorities are faced with the challenge of collecting these polluted waters in the sewerage networks, and of treating them later into wastewater treatment plants to reduce the risks of severe flooding, human and material damage and pollution of the natural ecosystem. Stormwater is responsible for 50% of the pollution flowing into rivers and beaches in urban areas.
AQUADVANCED® URBAN DRAINAGE TO BETTER MANAGE SEWER AND STORMWATER SYSTEMS, PREVENT FLOODING AND PRESERVE THE QUALITY OF THE RECEIVING WATER BODIES
In response to these challenges, SUEZ is launching AQUADVANCEDÒ Urban Drainage, a digital solution that helps local authorities to manage their sewer and stormwater systems. The tool allows to choose the solution that best meets their needs, from the monitoring of an environment (rivers, the sea, sewerage networks), to the anticipation of flooding events and pollution of the natural environment, and the predictive and dynamic management of the complete sewerage system.
AQUADVANCEDÒ Urban Drainage provides a global, real-time vision of the complete system, based on data from sensors installed both in the network and in the environment (rivers, watercourses, etc.) and on short-term weather forecasts. By centralising and analysing all these data, the software solution can anticipate the hydraulic performance of the network (saturated storage capacities, volumes to be treated, etc.) or of the natural ecosystem (risk of pollution or overflowing watercourses). For certain sewerage systems, the tool can also calculate the best control strategy, and automatically and remotely monitor the system’s facilities (storage reservoirs, pumping stations, etc.).
AQUADVANCEDÒ Urban Drainage anticipates the risk of untreated wastewater overflowing into the natural ecosystem, monitors the quality of discharge on a daily basis and helps to protect the environment. Deploying this system can cut the volumes of stormwater that flow into rivers or the sea by up to 45%.
Presented at the Singapore International Water Week (10-14 July), where it is currently being deployed, AQUADVANCEDÒ Urban Drainage has been already introduced in eight European cities, including Bordeaux, the Paris conurbation, Marseille and Barcelona.
Leader on the Smart Water market in Europe, SUEZ is complementing its offer to support local authorities in the sustainable management of resources with this management software dedicated to optimise sewer and stormwater networks’ performance. AQUADVANCEDÒ Urban Drainage completes the existing software offer for the drinking water networks, named AQUADVANCEDÒ Water Networks.
1 AQUADVANCED® is a registered trademark or a trademark under pending application.